11 reasons why the arts are basic to education
- The arts enhance students creativity and increase creative thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- The arts use both hemispheres of the brain and develop cognitive, affective, and psycho-motor skills.
- The arts increase communication skills vitally needed in today’s complex society.
- The arts enhance basic literacy skills including cultural literacy and non-verbal stimuli.
- The arts enable students to acquire aesthetic judgement, a skill which enhances daily life and affective individual choices.
- The arts develop self-esteem and help students gain a more positive self-concept.
- The arts provide better cross-cultural understanding through knowledge of civilizations and cultures past and present.
- The arts improve the school atmosphere and can aid in improving student attendance and decreasing the dropout rate.
- The arts provide numerous career opportunities both in the commercial and entertainment industries.
- The arts improve student performance in other subject areas.
- The arts are a valuable teaching tool in working with students with physical or mental disabilities and those with limited English proficiencies.
Source: Arts for Everykid: A Handbook for Change, by Cory Ann Alperstein and Ronnie B. Weyl.